Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Positive stress

I remember long ago studying psychology while away at University.  During one course, the subject of stress came up.  This is a subject I believe everyone in the room could jump for joy over as we could actually deeply and easily relate to such a subject while trudging through the challenges of figuring out who the hell we were in this world and meeting the the challenges being thrown at us by overzealous private University professors looking to weed out the stoners and time wasters.  Well, I doubt those dumb ass trust fund babies going to school for the hell of it, those there for the beer, or the bow headed Women at school solely to get their MRS. degree gave a damn about stress but I and many others did.

When the subject of "positive stress" was put upon the table, my mind spun.  How the hell can stress be a positive thing?  It was explained that positive stress was the type of stress that motivates us.  The type that pushes us.  An elementary example of this would be a airplane departure time you must meet.  As the clock ticks down, the stress of being prepared and on time will motivate your ass to get your proverbial shit together and get out the door.

Over the years, I haven't been a pro at managing stress.  I'm downright lousy at it.  I worry far too much for stupid reasons and have led a charmed life if you put it under a microscope.  Many people on this Earth have a hard time finding clean drinking water and most have insane challenges keeping a roof over their head and food on the table.  Have I worked hard to get where I am?  Yes.  However, I realize that one of the key factors in anything good that has come my way has been self-discipline.  For me, self-discipline is easy to toss out the window.  I don't have a clock to punch or a regimented schedule to follow.  I've worked hard to create a small business that sustains my needs and allows me to meet my responsibilities.   The one thing that has driven me though is positive stress.  When I worry, it feels like a fire within me that I must desperately put out.  A fire that must be put out NOW...not later.  Have you ever had a conflict with someone you care about and felt the nagging need to resolve the issue and clear the air with that person right away?  Yeah, you have.  Well, that's positive stress at work for you.  That's positive stress motivating you in a particular direction and to make particular choices which will guide you down the path of life in the proper direction.

Lately, I've looked back and seen this in action.  I've worried far too much for very little reason in retrospect.  Positive stress kicked in and my perceived problems started flying out the window quickly due to my actions under my own stressors.

So, stress is an evil thing but necessary to keep us on our toes.  The next time you find yourself about to lose your marbles, slow down and think of how you can motivate yourself, change directions, and get back on solid ground.  Life is mostly made of rough times sprinkled with moments of joy.  It's how you deal with the rough times that marks your character.  I have a sensible feeling that I'll be working on this skill as I walk right into the grave and be utterly jealous of those that walk in ignorant bliss or have the magical ability to be fine with the rivers of life carrying them along like a twig floating on it's shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment